Anywhere Gym is about using the time and space you have, to get moving and get fit. If your #1 excuse is not enough time because of the kids, then these mini “work outs” are for you.
- Step To It: Take three trips up and down the stairs with your child, or do 20 step-ups on one step.
- Kangaroo Jump: Tape a shoelace to the floor in a straight line. Have your child stand on one side of the string with both feet together. Count to three, and cheer as he or she jumps over the string and back 10 times. Take a short break—and do it again!
- Crab Crawl: Sit with your feet flat on the floor, knees bent. Lean back and place your hands flat on the floor behind you. Lift your seat off the floor, putting your weight on your hands and feet. Now, crab crawl around the room with your kids!
- Can Do: Go to the kitchen and find two of the heaviest cans your child can hold. Have him stand with his feet flat on the floor, with the cans in his hands and arms at his side. Show him how to lift the cans up to his chest, bending his arms at the elbows. Have him hold for two seconds, and then slowly lower his arms. Repeat 10 times.
- Reach for the Sky: Grab a small textbook and hold it by the spine. Make an “L” with your arm—with your upper arm at shoulder level and your forearm pointing toward the ceiling. Now extend your arm straight over your shoulder, pushing the book toward the sky. Return to the bent-arm position. Repeat 10 times, and then switch arms. Have your kids follow along with their own books (and arms).
- Get On Down: Start with two bottles of laundry detergent (or any large bottle with a handle). Have your child stand with her feet flat on the floor, shoulder width apart. Place the bottles on each side of her feet. Watch as she bends her knees, grabs the bottles and stands up. Repeat 10 times.
- Hoop it Yourself: A trash can (or even a box) makes a great indoor basketball goal— perfect for a quick game of one-on-one.
Because the goal is to achieve at least 60 minutes of exercise a day, these effective but fun exercises are great for breaking down into 10-15 minute workouts throughout the day:
You can find more great exercises like the ones above at: Healthier Generation.org